Thursday, March 31, 2005

The Infinite

My father and i sat on the back porch together.
The metal chair left diagonal imprints on the backs of my legs.
My dad slowly rocked the chair back and forth and i began to rock too.
We said nothing in a comfortable silence, like a pillow that gives in with incredible
intimacy and support.

The sweet smell of tulips drifted towards me with the wind like the ocean tide.
The mourning doves cooed and in my mind's eye, I was nine years old again
calling back to them with a smile. Not understanding their name.
Thinking of 'morning.'

Another smell came from the house.
A hazelnut coffee candle brings my mother to my mind.
I thought of warm towels with the scent from the fabric softener that only works with her
water, her chemicals, her scents.

I looked across the yard to the massive gingko tree with fan shaped leaves modestly
covering the branches like a geisha waiting for her lover.
My eye traveled up towards the magical place where the trees kiss the sky.
The sapphire blue was freckled with four perfect clouds, each in a distinct shape.
Carousel horse
Puppy
Castle
A tear

The red brick of the garage seemed more vibrant than the day before and it was almost
moving with the energy of life.

"Stacey," said my father, breaking the sacred silence, "I want you to take a photograph of
this moment in your mind.
It is a perfect day;
you must always appreciate these. They don't come around too often."

I look to my left at the St. Bernard of a man who sits with me. The only man
in my life.
I gave a slight smile and looked back to the sky.
Crystallizing that exact shade of blue.
I'd be gone soon. So would he.

My eyes burned and began to swell as i blinked back tears.
The gingko will stand when we are gone. Marrying the sky
every morning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home